Thursday, October 25, 2012

Those Places Thursday–Webster Family Road Trip: Utah ~ Balloons, Teeter-Totters, and Watermelon

This is part of a series of posts dedicated to the immigration story of Debs Webster and his family.

It looks like my Grandpa Debs and his family had a great time visiting with some extended family in Utah.

A photo through the front window ~

I wonder why my Grandpa decided to take this photo through the front window of the house.  Was it a candid shot?  Was he outside, saw the group at the window, and just decided to take their picture?  If so, what was everyone looking at outside?  Or was it a planned shot?  Did he ask them all to come to the window so he could go outside and take their photo through it?

Pictured are my Grandma Willis Webster, my mom, my two uncles and two girls from the family they were visiting.   Looks like the kids were having a fun time with balloons!


Debs Webster Family in Utah 1952
Willis Webster, My Mom, and My Uncles
with Extended Family in Utah - 1952
Click to Enlarge

Teeter-totter time ~

Is this a park or a backyard?  Whatever it is, it looks like fun!  My uncle is the little boy on the end of the teeter-totter.


Webster Family in Utah 1952
My Uncle (far left) with
Extended Family in Utah - 1952
Click to Enlarge

My mom is the girl on the teeter-totter in the photo below.  Is it just me, or are those some rustic-looking teeter-totters?  And there’s Great-Grandma Helena serenely sitting in the background.



Webster Family in Utah 1952
Webster Family with Extended
Family in Utah - 1952
Click to Enlarge

Yummy watermelon ~

The two little boys are my uncles and the girl on the far right is my mom.  Great watermelon-eating technique guys!  Way to keep from getting messy! 



Webster Family in Utah 1952
Webster Kids (far right) with
Extended Family in Utah - 1952
Click to Enlarge

Thanks for joining my Grandpa Debs Webster and his family for some summertime fun in Utah!  Next stop is Manti, Utah.

Thanks for reading!

Jana


Copyright © Jana Last 2012

6 comments:

  1. I vote PARK rather than woods or backyard. The see-saw doesn't have handles, but the boards are attached to that THING that rocks along the frame (which seems very sturdy, much more than a family model). Plus there are multiple boards. I doubt a family would have that large a see-saw in their backyard. I enjoyed this collection of summer scenes, very fitting now that summer has come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,

      I think you are right about it being a park rather than a backyard. And zooming in on one of the photos, I noticed some carvings on one of the trees in the background. That seems more like a park-like activity too.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Your grandparents took some lovely trips - and thank goodness your relatives were such prolific photographers ... they knew how to capture the good moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ljhlaura,

      They really did! I know that after they immigrated to the U.S., they traveled to Mexico in 1955 and also to Brazil in 1986.

      And yes, I'm so thankful they took so many photographs!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Great photos! Your family knew how to have fun. Yes, those are rustic-looking teeter totters. My extended family at their farm in South Carolina made teeter-totters much like those. And I've got a Reunion picture from the 1930s of the folks standing near a hay wagon and eating watermelon--much like the kids in your 1952 picture. Thanks for this blog! Takes me back. Reminds me of all the ways people can be alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariann,

      Thanks so much for your kind comments!

      How fun that you have a reunion photo from the 1930s! Have you posted it on your blog yet? That would be fun to see.

      Thanks so much for stopping by! I really do appreciate it!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...